Sunday, April 5, 2015

Strawberries + Yogurt....

Growing up every year we would sell MacMillans cookie dough and muffin dough to raise money for our school. My favorite was the Strawberry Yogurt Muffin dough.. yes the dough. I liked the muffins but I would sneak spoonfuls of the dough when my mom wasn't looking.
The other day while grocery shopping I came across Strawberry Yogurt muffins in the grocery store, so I picked them up for the girls to try and they LOVED them. It brought me right back to my obsession over them!

I decided to try to make a healthier version then the ones I found in the store. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup of fat free plain yogurt
1/4 cup of butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries coarsely chopped

Directions
1. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. 
2. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, butter and vanilla. 
3. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. 
4. Fold in strawberries.
5. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with paper liners two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.

 Yield: 1 dozen full size or 36 mini

We are huge fans of mini muffins in our house because they are the perfect size for the girls and they are easy to pack in lunches or to grab when we are running out! I prefer the mini muffins to help with my sweet tooth. I get the little bit of sweetness without over indulging.

Safe to say these are a hit with the little ones and with mommy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment