Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Biggest Loser

I have always been a fan of the Biggest Loser television show, I think it is because I like to see people succeed and become healthier versions of themselves.. but last nights finale is making me consider my opinions on the show. As of right now I don't know if I will watch another season or buy anymore of the products from the show.

This post is off topic from our usual happy, family posts but I figured since I shared last month that I am  taking my personal training certification I would share my opinion on this.

First off let me say that I am happy for anyone and will support whoever wants to better themselves and get themselves into healthier and better shape. People work very hard to lose weight and gain muscle. It is NOT an easy task. I have been there it takes time and a lot of work and discipline and I will be back there in a few weeks after Baby Murray #2 is born. 
I DO NOT support people who go to extremes such as starvation, dehydration or excessive working out to get themselves to a smaller size. You are not getting healthier or getting into better shape by doing that.. you are doing the opposite.

I own my fair share of Biggest Loser cookbooks, mainly because they are healthy, easy dishes and they all taste delicious, I also have a few of the DVD's (not sure where but somewhere). As of right now I will not be purchasing anymore of their products.

Now onto WHY I feel this way...
Last nights winner is WAY to thin.. and according to her BMI (5'4" & 105lbs) is 18.0 which is considered UNDERWEIGHT.
She went from obese to underweight in LESS then a year! She went from 260lbs (44.6 BMI) to 105lbs.. thats 155lbs weight loss and essentially 60% of her body weight.
Just looking at the numbers you can see it is unhealthy... now for the photo..


(both photos from http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2014/02/the-biggest-loser-why-was-rachel-frederickson-allowed-to-lose-too-much-weight.html)

Wow, jaw on floor, and clearly I wasn't the only one! Jillian and Bob BOTH look concerned!

I don't agree with judging people based on their physical appearance doesn't matter if they are big or small, BUT when you are on a national television show that praises big weight loses and you look that sickly I think you open yourself up to judgement.

Why I say she looks "sickly" :

  • knees stick out a lot and look knobby (very bony)
  • arms have no fat on them or muscles for that matter.. (very bony)
  • head looks to big for her body
  • gaunt looking
I understand you can be healthy and not have a lot of fat or muscle but she just doesn't look healthy!
I don't agree that she won the show! I understand the show is called "Biggest Loser" and she was the biggest loser but I think they need to reevaluate it's rules. There needs to be a red line for the finale .. both at home contestants and the 3 finalists! This red line needs to automatically disqualify you if you drop below the "healthy" line.. unhealthy BMI, unhealthy weight" etc.

I hope the people at Biggest Loser take notice of the all the blogs, news articles and tweets about last night and come up with a new way to do things and a healthy way to do things!
If things change then I will be more then happy to support the show again.

I really do wish Rachel the best and hope that she can get the help she needs if she does have an eating disorder or any illness. I hope she is not going to be another one that gains a crazy amount of weight in the coming months because of the unrealistic lifestyle she has been living for the past few months.


And tomorrow back to our regular blog posts :)
Snow day!!!
xo







No comments:

Post a Comment